Subscribe to updates

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Exotic Pets




Today I saw 2 interesting pets at the hypermarket.Yes, hypermarket, not pet shop.
One was an iguana like lizard with ears like the African elephants.The other is called a skink crocodile.I noticed everyone was trying to find where the crocodile was as the glass box looked empty.It must be a nocturnal animal as I found it sleeping,coiled round a small plant in a flower pot at one end of the box.It was more like a lizard with a long tail and coiled like a snake.How anyone would take it as a pet beats me as I don't fancy having such as a pet.What it decides to coil round my neck?

That reminds me of an incident I witness a few years ago in Kuala Kangsar, up north in the state of Perak.A group of people brought several sacks to the river.I wondered what they were up to.Maybe throwing durian skins into the river? People litter everywhere. It is a notorious habit.

I was surprised then, to see them releasing small red terrapins into the river.I wonder what became of the terrapins?Could they have survived or have they thrived and overpopulate the river?

I quote a report I came across recently:

1 month ago, it was reported that an Iguana was seen in Davie, Florida. Because of the rapid spread of the lizards in the South Florida area some county commissioners will seek the state Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission to add the green Iguana to the list of "reptiles of concern".That would require Iguana owners to pay a $100 annual permit and have microchips implanted in them. Some blame pet owners for the over population saying they buy the reptiles in pet stores and when they get to big they release them in the wild where they have thrived. Many of reptiles have taken up residence in peoples back yards or along canal banks.

Closer to home I have read reports of alien sort of mutant fish that was once a craze among pet lovers, being thrown into ponds and lakes in the cities.I cannot remember the name of the fish now but it is no longer in the market.That fish could now a nuisance if it acts as a predator to our local indigenous fish.I know the "ikan Bandaraya" another pet fish that helps keep aquariums clean, can be a nuisance once freed as it can burrow and destroy cement walls in man made ponds.

So before you go rushing to buy those exotic pets for your kids, take a step back and think first. What will you do to them when your child gets tired of them?

No comments: