Subscribe to updates

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Detrimental Chemicals Poisoning our Homes

I met my former university lecturer a few years ago, when he came over to give a short lecture at the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia, (IEM). He was then already a full professor at the University of Manchester. During my days at Leeds, he has just obtained his Phd and was a young handsome lecturer.

When I told him that I was a full time housewife, his comment was that the kitchen was full of chemicals and was a place where chemical engineering was at work.

An article in the Star on 7th Oct, 2008 quoting an earlier special report in the Los Angeles Times caught my interest and reminds me of Prof Heggs.

Some chemical companies and corporations in California are implementing green chemistry to create safer substances that wont seep into our bloodstream, endanger wildlife and pollute nature.

The greenest products are 100% vegetable, made entirely from renewable, natural feedstocks that are not chemically modified. Less green are those that include minerals or inorganic materials. The least green of all use petrochemicals or animal substances.

That is good news to me. During my Chemical Engineering design lectures I remember they taught us to design process plants that only release steam to the atmosphere. In real life, the last stage is often not included to save costs... at the expense of the environment.

Awareness to save the environment has finally reached the ears of our local engineers too.I am happy to note that the IEM will be holding a talk on the Environmental Monitoring and Compliance in relation to the various recently enacted environmental laws on 24th October.

Our earth will be better looked after once the engineers who shape the world, design everything to be environment -friendly.

No comments: